I love the ease of summer days. Earth dresses in lush, vibrant colors and nature peeks out of every corner. Animals stop to say hello and the world is wrapped in a heavy warmth that lingers in my bones.
Sun and Water: A Haiku July 8, 2012
The silver water
Dances around my fingers
In the summer sun
Top 5 Reasons Why I Love Summer June 5, 2012
I am fortunate to live in a part of the world where we have distinct seasons. Each one holds something special and has a place in my heart.
1. Endless Possibilities: A feeling leftover from childhood, but summer seems to hold the promise of so many possibilities. Want to go swimming? No problem. Grow flowers that call out to the butterflies, or vegetables to place on your table? Go for it. Want to create crafts with the little ones all day? Plenty of time for it. With longer, warmer days, summer is the perfect time for everything you ever wanted to do.
2. Warm Temperatures and Cool Dips: If you like warm days by the pool or on the beach, summer is the perfect season. I’m not a fan of super hot days, but I do enjoy the warmth of the sun on my body as long as I can take a cool dip in the water. This makes for a perfect contrast on a perfect day.
3. Summertime Bargain Shopping: Again, conditioned by my school years followed by years of taking my girls shopping, I love the sales the stores have in the summer! On the hottest of days, there is nothing better than slipping into a favorite (air-conditioned) store and finding a hot bargain!
4. Explorations: Summer has always been a time when I enjoy exploring something new. From something big, like the motorcycle trip I took to Nova Scotia, to something small, like checking out the new used bookstore in town, summer holds new adventures. Summer has always been a season of discoveries, both large and small.
5. The Promise of Autumn: By the end of the long, hot summer I am ready for a change. I know that soon autumn will arrive, and I can appreciate the glorious colors, the crispness of the air, and the tartness of fresh apples.
River Trail Thoughts April 29, 2012
The gravel trail meanders through a beautiful forest. The bushes, ferns, and trees are all wearing their new spring finery. Sprinkled sunlight throughout the woods creates a lovely pattern of light and shadows. When I am in this setting, all seems right in my world. It makes me wonder: do you think all the modern conveniences have actually harmed us as humans? I have so many “things”, and because of this I work long hours and spend most of my time on upkeep of said things. What if life were more simple? What if I had much less, and had time to do much more? This walk in the woods really got me thinking about life.
Imagine having a small cabin in a forest like this one. Would the peace and quiet be a constant inspiration to my spirit, or would loneliness drive me insane? I would be willing to give up a lot for a quiet life.
I am in awe of this crooked tree because to me, it told a story. I found it growing in a thick patch of woods. The base of the trunk is large and sturdy, but cast in shadows of the surrounding trees. As it was growing, this tree needed sunlight. Somehow, over the many years of its life, this tree found a way to reach for the sun. It grew in a way that was best for it, not caring about how it looked or what anyone else thought. This tree did what it needed to do. You can learn a lot from a tree.
I really enjoyed my walk today and it helped to shake some of the “blues” I felt when I woke up. It also made me think about my life, and how I could change some things. I still struggle with the idea of my actions making others unhappy, but I see now that my happiness is important, too. Today I went for a walk because it made me happy. I wonder what I might do tomorrow?
Golden Sunshine: A Haiku April 16, 2012
The Hostage April 12, 2012
grasp cold, jagged Mountain
holding her as an unwilling hostage
with his frozen grip of death.
Mountain cannot hold on much longer
when Sun peers over the horizon
piercing Ice with warm glowing rays
Mountain warms from his touch and joins the battle
together, Mountain and Sun loosen Ice
because together they become one
Ice slowly begins to thaw
knowing the end is near
slides drip by drip by drip
until Ice is no more
Mountain and Sun joined forces
together, they win.
Nature Speaks to My Soul April 3, 2012
feed energy deep into my weary soul
awakening and reviving my spirit
giving me hope for better days to come
dripping aqua-blue raindrops
cleanse my spirit of wicked demons
bathing my soul in a soft purity
wiping the slate for a new beginning
cool, crisp, early morning breezes
blow stale cobwebs from my brain
clearing my dark thoughts away
only leaving room for brightness
I am at my most serene
when nature speaks to my soul
giving me back a peaceful existence
ready again to face the human race
Happiness in the Sun March 24, 2012
while the warm sun kisses my hair
whippoorwills call each other by name
and the carpet beneath my feet changes
from crunchy brown to soft green
right before my eyes.
tight moist buds begin to unfurl
as newborn colors burst into life
hues of pinks, reds, greens, and yellows
spring forward in a tangled mass
as nature puts on her party dress.
the sun warms my cold winter bones
and heats my skin as a sigh escapes my lips.